Walthamstow Then & Now

 

THEN
NOW
Original WaltrhamstowTown Hall Orford Road. Early 1900s.
Commercial postcard
Original WaltrhamstowTown Hall Orford Road. Later to become Connaught Hospital. Now a retirement home. May 2013
Wilson's Butchers Chingford Road Chapel End around 1920s
Commercial postcard
Chapel End House 2013 The tree is roughly where the fence is in the "THEN" photo
Church Lane around the turn of the 20th Century
Commercial postcard
Church Lane March 2013
Chingford Road at Tramway house September 1981
Chingford Road at Tramway house January 2013
Valentin Road Early 1900s
Commercial postcard
Valentin Road.
14th August 2012
Upper Walthamstow Road. Early 1900s
Commercial postcard
Upper Walthamstow Road
14th August 2012
Not that much of a "Then".
Just six years before the "Now"!
Sir George Gascoigne School, Queens Road October 2006
The same site in July 2012. It now houses Edinburgh Road primary school and the councls "Community Learning and Skills Service"
Victorian terrace and cottages in Chingford Road
around 1932

© Vestry House Museum
Victorian terrace and flats in Chingford Road
October 2011
St. Saviour's Church from the back of 74 Theydon Street. c1960
St. Saviour's Church from the back of 74 Theydon Street. 2011
Forest Rise. Early 1900s
Commercial postcard
Forest Rise 2008
The "Crooked Billet" Pub at night from Cecil House 1960s
Same view 2010
Trolley Bus on 699 Chingford Road
© Photo F.W. Ivey
Diesel Bus on 97 Chingford Road
Trolley Buses meet in Chingford Road 1959
©
Photo F.W. Ivey
Buses meet in Chingford Road 2008
RM 13 outside Walthamstow Garage.
© Eamonn Kentell. Reproduced with kind permission.
Diesel Bus on 357 outside Walthamstow Garage
Trolley Bus on Route 699 Outside Tramway Offices 60s
©
R.H.G. Simpson. Reproduced with kind permission.
Tramway Offices 2009
The Crooked Billet Pub Standing on what is now the underpass of the A406.
A 685 trolley bus (No. 612) to is doing a U turn to head down Billet Road.
©
Ken Carr collection.
Reproduced with kind permission of Peter Fidczuc
Near the same spot 2010. The bell tower of "Christ the King" Catholic church in Chingford Road can be clearly seen. This is a relatively new building, the original was situated behind the Crooked Billet Pub. Walthamstow Dog track is but a 100 yards further down Chingford Road.
Taken from the car park of the Crooked Billet pub looking towards the London Transport sports field. An ambulance station can be seen on the left by the white van.
A 699 trolly bus (No. 1347) is on its way to the Docks.
©
Ken Carr collection.
Reproduced with kind permission of Peter Fidczuc
The houses of Grove Park Avenue in the distance have hardly changed since the "then" photo was taken over 45 years ago. However, the vehicles seen would have been hovering over the A406 underpass in mid air! Behind the wall is a considerable drop to the pedestrian and cycle ways, and then a further drop to the A406.
Tramway Offices from Chingford Road 1920s/30s
( If it is copyright please let me know.
I'll either remove it or come to an arrangement for it's continued use.
)
Tramway Offices from Chingford Road 2009
Tree blown over in Chingford Road 2002
© Richard Dunn
Replacement Tree 2008
Chingford Road 1905
Commercial Postcard
Chingford Road 2008
Lloyd Park
Commercial Postcard
Lloyd Park 2008
The Bell junction of Forest Road and Chingford Road
Commercial Postcard c1908
The Bell 2005
Tram in Forest Road outside William Morris Gallery
Commercial postcard c1908
Bus in Forest Road outside William Morris Gallery 2005
Essex Road Railway Bridge.
Drawing by Fraser Cleminson.
Essex Road Railway Bridge 2010
Hoe Steet Station 1870
© Vestry House Museum
Walthamstow Central Station 2009
St. James' Steet Station 15th June 1957
© Milepost 92½ reproduced with permission
St. James' Steet Station 26th October 2010
St. James' Street looking south c1905
R
eproduced by kind permission of K. Stephens
St. James' Street looking south January 2011
St. James' Street 1930's
Commercial postcard
St. James' Street 2011
The original St. James' Church in 1847. This was demolished in 1902 and a new church was built in 1903 (see below)
©
Vestry House Museum
Same location 2009
St. James' Church. St. James' Street built in 1903 to replace the old church (above) which was demolished in 1902.
Looking towards South Grove.
Commercial postcard
St. James' Street 2011.
A medical centre now occupies the site
Hoe Street looking towards the Granada Cinema 60s/70s
Commercial postcard
Hoe Street looking towards the Granada Cinema 2011
Church Hill looking towards High Street c1903.
West Avenue Road is on the Left.
Commercial postcard
Church Hill looking towards High Street February 2011.
There is now a mini-roundabout at the junction of
West Avenue Road
Church Hill looking towards High Street c1903. The Church on the left was the Wesleyan Church and the Spire in the distance was the Marsh Street Congregational Church which was behind the 99p store is now on the corner of Cleveland Park Road/High Street. .
Commercial postcard

Church Hill looking towards High Street February 2011.
Stainforth Road is on the Left and Eastfield Road is on the Right.
The blue sign in the centre of the picture is the 99p store.

Looking towards Church Hill From Hoe Street. Early 1900s
Commercial postcard
Looking towards Church Hill From Hoe Street. February 2011
Hoe Street looking towards Hoe Street Station
(Now Walthamstow Central)
Commercial postcard
Hoe Street looking towards
Walthamstow Central Station 2011
Walthamstow Station on the Barking to Kentish Town line. In the background is Edinburgh Road Primary School
©
Vestry House Museum
Re-named Walthamstow (Queens Road) on 6th May 1968 and from 5th Jan. 1981, trains terminate at Gospel Oak instead of Kentish Town
Black Horse Road Station before 1981 when it moved to the other side of the road to link with the Victoria line.
The spelling was also changed to Blackhorse (1 word) Road
©
Vestry House Museum
The same site in 2005. Now just a brick wall
This was the entrance to Black Horse Road goods yard about 200 yds to the left of the present station. It is now a private road leading to business premises.
Note the original cobble stone road
© Richard Dunn
Blackhorse Road Station as it is now
St. Saviours Church Markhouse Road circa late 1800s
Commercial Postcard
St. Saviours Church Markhouse Road 2009
UpperWalthamstow Road
Commercial Postcard
Upper Walthamstow Road 2005
Warner Estate at Chapel End around 1930
Same Warner Estate at Chapel End in 2009
Now mostly privately owned
Jones family Butchers shop was built in the late 18th century and was used as a slaughterhouse and butchers shop by the family for nearly 200 years. This was taken in 1905
© Vestry House Museum
It is now occupied by Second Nature which sells organic foods

All "NOW" photo's are © Richard Dunn